Irkutsk Hydroelectric Power Station is the first station of the cascade of hydroelectric power stations on the Angara and the first large hydroelectric power station in the Eastern Siberia (half of capacity of all electric stations of the plan of the Russian State Electrification Committee). In January 1950, the Government of the USSR took the decision on construction of Irkutsk hydro-unit, and in a month the construction started. In September 1959, Irkutsk Hydroelectric Power Station was accepted in industrial use.
The total length of the reinforced concrete building is 240 meters, the width equals 77 m, maximum height is 56 m. Irkutsk Hydroelectric Power Station of 662,4 MW capacity develops 4,1 billion kWh an average hydraulicity year. The number of hours of the installed capacity use amounts to 6200 hours.
The electric power is received in the Irkutsk power supply system and is used by the enterprises of power-intensive industries.
Constructions of waterfront (the building of hydroelectric power station is constructed of ground materials) of 2740 meters in length are designed for the maximum head of 31 meters. The full reservoir level is 457,00 meters. Total hydraulic performance of turbines and discharge sluices equals 7040m3/sec. The maximum allowable charge of water as for the conditions of the downstream water is 4300 m3/sec. The average long-term drain of the Angara is 60200 million м3, the average long-term charge amounts to 1920 m3/sec.
In the building of hydroelectric power station combined with discharge sluices, 8 hydro-units having capacity of 82,8 mW and voltage of 13,8 kV are installed, which are joined in the integrated blocks "two generators - increasing transformer (autotransformer)". Power distribution is made through air passages to the open switching centers of the left (ODU-110 kV) and the right bank (ODU-220 kV). Communication with the power supply system is carried out through 110 and 220 kV high-voltage lines.
From the moment of start-up of the first hydro-unit, Irkutsk Hydroelectric Power Station produced more than 192 billion kWh. In 1993 Irkutskenergo Joint-Stock Company of Power and Electrification developed and approved the Program of modernization and reconstruction of Irkutsk Hydroelectric Power Station. The most part of the program is executed by the present moment.
The basic consumers of the electric power produced by Irkutsk Hydroelectric Power Station are the Shelekhovsk Aluminum Factory and household consumers of the city.
Irkutsk Hydroelectric Power Station staff equals 144 people.