Creation of powerful energy system and energy area in the Angarsk Territory was predetermined by the richest water resources of the Angara river, availability of coal resources, Angarsk and Ilimsk iron ore, salt and limestone, and the richest wood resources.
1896. The first hydro-electric power station in Russia of 300 kW capacity was erected on the Nygri river in the zone of Lensk goldfield.
1910. The first small power plant of 18 thousand kW capacity was built in Irkutsk. Central Power Station, Thermal Power Station-2, and ITS were created on its basis.
1932. Turbine generator of 2500 kW of Cheremkhovo CPS was put into operation (now it is called Thermal Power Station-12) for electric power supply of coal mining area of the Cheremkhovo basin.
1935. Thermal Power Station-4 was put into operation (Usolye-Sibirskoe). In 1960, it was included in Thermal Power Station-11.
1951. The first turbine unit of 25000 kW capacity was put into operation at the Irkutsk Thermal Power Station-1, and the Angarsk-Irkutsk transmission line of 110 kV voltage was constructed in the Irkutsk area for the first time for supplying the electric power from Thermal Power Station-1 to construction site of Irkutsk HPS.
1952. Selenergo Regional Maintenance Office was created (it was given a new name of Eastern Power Grid in 1988).
1954. The enterprise for sale of energy and control over its use - Energosbyt was founded, and in execution of Order No. 7010-r of the Ministry Council of the USSR as of 29/6/1954, in quarter IV of 1954, the Irkutsk power supply system was created on the basis of Irkutsk Thermal Power Station-1, Irkutsk Thermal Power Station-2, Irkutsk City Power Grid, and Energosbyt.
1955. High-Voltage Grid Administration HVGA was created (renamed in Southern Power Grid in 1988).
1956. Two first hydroelectric units of Irkutsk Hydroelectric Power Station (first plant of hydroelectric power stations of the Angarsk cascade) were thrown on the load. Putting of Irkutsk Hydroelectric Power Station in industrial operation was performed on October 24, 1959.
1959. The first boiler unit was brought into operation at Thermal Power Station-3 (Zima city); the first boiler unit was put in service at Thermal Power Station-5 (Shelekhov city), the first turbine unit of Thermal Power Station-11 (Usolye-Sibirskoe) was brought into service, and the first turbine unit of Irkutsk Thermal Power Station-10 of 60 MW capacity was activated. Engineering solutions realized at construction of Thermal Power Station-10 became a breakthrough in domestic power development. The station was constructed in record-setting time: in five years after decision-making on its construction.
1961. Putting in operation of the first turbine unit at Thermal Power Station-7 was performed (Bratsk), the first unit of Bratsk Hydroelectric Power Station was engaged in the power grid, and Bratsk-Irkutsk OL-500 kV super-power transmission line of 580 km length was activated for the first time in Siberia.
Bratsk Hydroelectric Power Station is the second step of the Angarsk cascade. It is unique from the point of view of the engineering approach, efficiency, indicators, volume, profitability and quality of the executed works. It has no parallel in the world history of hydro-electric units construction. In 1961, the first two hydro-electric units of Mamakan Hydroelectric Power Station were activated. It is the first hydroelectric power station in the USSR constructed in a permafrost region. By October 1962, capacity of hydroelectric power station in the structure of four hydro-electric units had reached the design size of 100.2 MW. In 1991, the Hydroelectric Power Station was removed from the structure of Irkutskenergo production association.
1962. The Irkutsk power supply system was included in the unified grid of Siberia.
Development of the Irkutsk power supply system was inseparably connected with creation of the Angarsk cascade of hydroelectric power stations. Construction of powerful Angarsk Hydroelectric Power Stations and creation of the system forming grid of 500 kV provided formation of the Irkutsk power supply system, and the unified power system (UPS) of Siberia.
1963. The first turbine unit was put in operation at Thermal Power Station-9 (Angarsk).
1964. Angarsk Power Grid (now called CPG) and Angarsk Thermal Network (ATN), Thermal Power Station-16 (Zheleznogorsk-Ilimskyi) were put in operation, and the first boiler at Thermal Power Station-6 (Bratsk) was activated.
1965. Irkutskenergoremont industrial-repair enterprise (IRE) was founded, on the basis of which JSC Irkutskenergoremont and Bratsk Power Grid (since 1988 it has been called Northern Power Grid) were created in 2002. Capacity of the power supply system reached 6510 thousand kW. Transmission lines of 4880 km length and 35-500 kV voltage were put in operation, and the total length of power grid of all voltage levels equaled 18158 km.
1968. Tulun Power Grid was created (since 1988 has been called Western Power Grid).
1971. Works on creation of the automated control system in the Irkutsk power supply system were the first in the country among the enterprises of the Ministry of Energy.
1974. The first units of Ust-Ilimsk Hydroelectric Power Station were activated. (Ust-Ilimsk station is the third step of hydroelectric power stations of the Angarsk cascade). The Hydroelectric Power Station is a complex of the unique constructions representing the best technical achievements in the world and domestic hydroelectric engineering. It was erected in record-setting time.
1975. The first turbine unit at the Novo-Irkutsk Thermal Power Station was put in operation.
1976. Irkutskenergospetsremont enterprise was created (since 1988 it has been called RSA PA Irkutskenergo (Irkutskenergo Repair Specialised Administration - Production Association), since 1995 it has been called Irkutskenergostroy Administration of Specialized Assembling Works). JSC Irkutskenergostroy was created on its basis in 2002.
1978. The first turbine unit at Ust-Ilimsk Thermal Power Station was put in operation, and the Irkutsk power supply system was included in the unified power grid of the USSR having its central control office in Moscow.
1980. Northern Thermal Network was created. The first boiler unit was introduced into service at Novo-Ziminsk TPS.
1983. Automatic protective devices were installed at Bratsk HPS for the first time in the USSR.
1984 (February 11). 1 000 000 000 000 watt-hours of the electric power were developed for 30 years from the moment of creation of the Irkutsk power supply system.
1988. Irkutsk Regional Power Administration (RPA Irkutskenergo) was transformed into the Irkutsk Production Association (PA Irkutskenergo).
1992, as a result of privatization, on the basis of Decree N 721 of the President of the Russian Federation “About organizational measures on transformation of the state enterprises, voluntary associations of the state enterprises into joint-stock companies”, as of July 1, 1992, Irkutsk Joint-Stock Company of Power and Electrification (JSC PE Irkutskenergo) was founded. Unlike other power supply systems of Russia, it is independent of RAO UES of Russia. It enables to pursue independent economic policy to the benefit of the region.
1996. President of the Russian Federation and Governor of the Irkutsk area signed the Federal Contract (the contract for delimitation of authorities). According to the contract, any changes in the status of power facilities should be coordinated with administration of the area.
1997. JSC Irkutskenergo received sanction from the Federal Commission for the Securities Market of the USA for issuing American depositary receipts (ADR) of the first level for its shares, and the first affiliated company (JSC IRMET) was founded.
1998. The Museum of History of JSC Irkutskenergo was created.
1999. As a consequence of merging of Thermal Power Station-7 and Northern Thermal Network, Bratsk Thermal Network (BTN) was created, and 2 000 000 000 000 watt-hours of the electric power were developed for 45 years from the moment of creation of the Irkutsk power supply system (November 9).
2002. During realization of the program of exit from non-profile kinds of activity, the affiliated companies were founded: JSC Angarsk Thermal Sales Company, JSC Baikalinvestenergo, JSC Grand Baikal, JSC Irkutskenergosvyaz, JSC Irkutskenergostrsoy, and JSC Irkutskenergoremont.
2003. Affiliated companies were founded: JSC Centralized Power Repair Company, JSC Security Office Irkutskenergo, JSC SibirEnergoTrade, and JSC Irkutskenergotrans.
2004. Afiliated companies were founded: JSC Baikalenergo, JSC HydroEnergoServis-remont, JSC Spetsenergoremont, JSC Bratskenergoremont, and, according to the program of production optimization, Thermal Power Station-3 was incorporated to Novo-Ziminsk TPS.
2005. Affiliated companies of PS Shchelkovo Ltd. and JSC Irkutskzoloprodukt were created. According to the program of production optimization, Thermal Power Station-1 and Angarsk Thermal Power Station were united with Thermal Power Station-9 and Thermal Power Station-5 and Irkutsk Thermal Network branches were jointed with Novo-Irkutsk Thermal Power Station.