According to the task of Central Administration for the Research Activity (GlavNII) of the Ministry of Oil Industry (Minnefteprom) and according to Instruction of State Economic Committee of the Ministerial Council of the USSR as of 14.03.1957, the branch of Teploenergoproekt All-Union State Project Institute developed the preliminary design of construction of a thermal power station of the oil refining plant.
Construction of the thermal power station of the refinery started within the complex of the Angarsk Oil Refining Factory in July 1958. According to Order of the State Council of Economy No. 764 as of July 16, 1959, the thermal power station of the refinery was transferred to the ownership of Irkutskenergo supply system and was named Irkutsk Thermal Power Station-9 since July 1, 1959. According to the same order, the Directorate of the Thermal Power Station-9 under construction was formed. It was headed by Director V.P. Tarakanov.
In July 1959, the Leningrad branch of VGPI Teploelektroproekt (All-Russia State Design Institute) finished development of the detailed design of Irkutsk Thermal Power Station-9.
According to the detailed design, the capacity of the station was defined as 300 thousand kW; the structure of the equipment was the following:
· VPT-50-3 turbines - 2 pieces;
· PVR-50-13 turbines - 2 pieces;
· VT-50-1 turbines - 2 pieces;
· TP-85 boiler units; productivity of each equaled 420 Gcal/h; 6 pieces
Construction of the main building of the station was approved on the basis of the standard project of Thermal Power Station-350 (prefabricated reinforced concrete).
Start-up of the first boiler unit and turbines is dated by May 16, 1963. 1969 is the year of putting into operation of the capital equipment of the 1 stage of construction. The installed capacity of the station at the end of 1969 equaled 300 MW; development of the electric power amounted to 922.372 thousand kWh; supply of thermal energy was equal to 3521.6 thousand Gcal; the specific fuel consumption for supply of the electric power was 205.9 t/Wh; specific fuel consumption for supply of thermal power equaled 169.8 kg/Gcal, thermal capacity utilization rate amounted to 42.3 %.
The station was supposed to use riddlings of concentrating plants of Cheremkhovo coal strip mine as fuel.
Since December 1968, according to the State Plan of USSR N AP-10-49/13-18-98, coal of Azeisk deposit became the basic kind of fuel for ITPS-9.
For covering of thermal loadings in 1975-1980, on the basis of the design assignment approved by Deputy Minister for the Power and Electrification of the USSR as of 2.07.1970, Siberian branch of the State Siberian Scientific-and-Research, Project Designing and Exploratory Institute (VNIIPenergoprom) executed the engineering design of expansion of ITPS-9, which carried out increase in installed capacity of the station from 300 thousand kW up to 760 kW. According to this project, the following turbine units should be installed in the expanded part of the station:
· Т-100-130 - 1 piece;
· R-100-130 - 2 pieces;
· PT-135-130 - 1 piece;
· TP-81 boiler units, productivity of each one is 420t/h of steam; 9 pieces.
According to the decision of the State Plan of the USSR as of April 12, 1971, item "Provision of Angarsk Oil and Gas Plant attached to the Ministry of Oil Industry (Minnefteprom) of the USSR with steam and thermal water", it was decided to expand ITPS-9 stage by stage. Siberian branch of the State Siberian Scientific-and-Research, Project Designing and Exploratory Institute (VNIIPenergoprom) was charged with division of the process of construction into stages.
Engineering design of the 1-st stage of expansion of the station from 300 thousand kW up to 425 thousand kW included installation of the following equipment:
· Boiler N7, TP-81 type, productivity equaled 420 t/h of steam;
· Three peak hot water boilers, PTVM-100 type;
· Boiler N8, TP-81 type, and turbine N7, type Т-100-130.
Construction the 1-st stage of expansion of ITPS-9 was finished in 1980.
The installed capacity of the station was equal to 410 MW, electric power generation amounted to 2338 thousand kWh, supply of thermal energy was 6246.475 thousand Gcal.
The engineering design of the 2-nd stage of expansion of the station from 410 thousand kW up to 510 thousand kW included installation of the following equipment:
· Three boilers, TP-81 type, immovable, N9-11;
· Turbines, R-100 type, immovable, N8;
· Boiler installations N9,10; 200 Gcal/h capacity;
· Installation of hot water supply boilers, UGV-2.
The basic part of the second stage of expansion was finished at the end of 1989 with putting into service of the boiler of st. N11.
In 1999, after commissioning of boiler rooms NN 9,10 in 1998, dismantle of all three peak hot water boilers was performed.
Now the installed electric capacity of the station equals 475 MW (due to restriction of capacity of R-100-130 turbine in connection with absence of the consumer of steam); the installed thermal capacity amounts to 2280 Gcal/h.